Worried About an Adult?

If you have concerns about an adult, who do I contact?

You may have concerns about someone, whether you are a relative, a neighbour, a member of the public or a practitioner.

Someone may tell you something that has happened to them, or you may see or hear something happening, that makes you feel uneasy or uncomfortable

If you see, hear or suspect that someone with a learning or physical disability, physical or mental illness is being harmed or abused, you must report what you know.

How to report it. 

There are several ways you can report abuse. These include:

Completing the Safeguarding Adults Concern Form [word document] with accompanying Guidance Notes [PDF Document] and emailing to: ssact@darlington.gov.uk

Contact the Adult Contact Team

Telephone - 01325 406111
Minicom - 01325 468504
Text - 07538 601527

The Adult Contact Team is open during the following hours:

Monday to Thursday: 8.30 am - 5.00 pm

Friday: 8.30 am - 4.30 pm

If you need to get in touch out of office hours, contact the Emergency Duty Team by telephone: 01642 524552 or Minicom: 01642 602346.

Remember if you suspect that someone is at immediate risk of harm then phone the police on 999.

How we will respond to it

All reports are treated seriously. Adult Social Care has a legal duty to make enquiries into the alleged abuse or neglect of adults at risk.

What might happen next

When a concern is reported we will work with the adult at risk and anyone else they would like to be involved, this may be a partner, family member or friend or another appropriate representative. 

Darlington Safeguarding Partnership has produced a safeguarding leaflet explaining how to make a referral if there are concerns about an adult who may have needs for care and support what will happen next.